Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Uninstalling Cyanogen Mod 6 and Installing T-Moble Froyo for MyTouch (Sapphire)

Last year I installed Cyanogenmod-6 because I wanted Froyo on my T-Mobile Sapphire MyTouch. It seemed unlikely that T-Mobile would release Froyo for the MyTouch so rooted the phone. Initially, Cyanogenmod ran reasonably well, but performance degraded over time. 


In the mean time, T-Mobile did release a Froyo OTA (Over The Air) update. Of course, having a rooted phone meant that I did not receive the OTA update. My phone was close to unusable, and the reviews for the T-Mobile Froyo update were positive so I was willing to give it a try. 


Follow these directions to restore your T-Mobile MyTouch (v1.0) to a stock Android Donut 1.6 DMD64 install, then upgrade it to the T-Mobile Froyo update. Note that the link in the article for the actual Froyo update is broken. You can download the Froyo update from this link.


Happily, I can now play Angry Birds with the rest of you.

1 comment:

  1. Outstanding! Going to try that also on my old and unusable device :)
    Angry Birds? I thought you more a Fruit Ninja :D

    moovida

    ReplyDelete